Friday, March 23, 2012

What's So Special About Magnum?



Source

So I was out with my college friends the other night. We were buying drinks and pulutan for our inuman session when Wjoemark decided that he wanted a Magnum for the night. After much prodding and kulitan, Perlito obliged and bought two popsicle in a nearby Mini Stop for the four of us to share. So after a couple of weeks since its arrival in the local setting, I finally got a taste of the ridiculously much-hyped and over-rated ice cream.




So what's my take on Magnum? Well, it's delicious, that one is true. But for P50-60 a stick, is it worth it? I say, NO. Why? I can easily buy a McDonald's coke float and a regular fries for the same price and get my money's worth. I even get to satisfy my ice cream craving!

Okay, I know I'm comparing two different food categories. So let's make it fair. Let's put it at par with Dairy Queen's Blizzard.


Source

Ah, Blizzard. I remember when I used to live in Manila (that was just early last year), whenever I ran errands for the ill-fated company that I used to work for, I always drop by at SM North Edsa Annex's Dairy Queen store to give myself a dose of Blizzard goodness for just P60! (Just thinking about it makes me want to eat it. Now, if only there's a Dairy Queen here in Olongapo.) You can even share it with a friend. Now, is it worth it? Every.Single.Cent. I'll definitely choose DQ's Blizzard over Magnum any day. And don't let me get started on DQ's yummy Banana Split.


Source

Then again, you might be thinking that I'm being biased since I'm an avid DQ fan. But not really. For an average Filipino who earns a minimum salary, which pretty much comprises the majority of the Philippine population, Magnum is a luxury at its finest. Imagine if I want to buy this popsicle for my whole family, I will be splurging a good P330 for just 6 Magnum treats! Definitely not practical, especially for someone like me who's always on a tight budget. So why settle for an over-rated social climbing popsicle when you can go for a totally cost-effective "dirty" ice cream?


Source

That said, here's how to properly eat Magnum. Enjoy!


Source




1 comment:

  1. haha, nice post...Magnum truly is overrated, I don't see why people fall for it. I guess Selecta has a top-notch marketing strategy team, good for them, bad for consumers...

    ReplyDelete