Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Productivity Begins Where Procrastination Ends



"Procrastination may result in stress, a sense of guilt and crisis, severe loss of personal productivity, as well as social disapproval for not meeting responsibilities or commitments. These feelings combined may promote further procrastination. While it is regarded as normal for people to procrastinate to some degree, it becomes a problem when it impedes normal functioning." -- Wikipedia

I used to be a procrastinator, a super-mega-uber-chronic procrastinator. I usually put off the things that should be on top of my priority list. I could even go for weeks without doing anything productive. And most of the time, I wasn't even aware that I was procrastinating. The last thing I knew, the clocks striked 12 midnight, and I haven't accomplished any project. Not a single f*ck was given to my priority list. No, sir!
How do I even wind up procrastinating? It always starts like this......




Uhm, excuse the last part. It is a usual scenario in my dreams since my love life at the moment is more like this.....


I know right?


Anyway, back to the topic: I don't even remember the time I started procrastinating. Maybe even before I started working, when I was still in college. I recollect having my term papers done only on the very last minute. I loved cramming to death and pulling an all-nighter just to finish them off. Fortunately for me, I always manage to deliver excellent content despite all the rush.


See? Procrastination isn't that bad, especially if you do it like a boss, noh?
Not by a long shot. The truth is, fooling around may get you through schooling but not in the real world - life after college. This is especially the case if you're a freelancer like me. You see a freelancer can earn a hefty sum of money if they work their ass of. Otherwise, they will find themselves stuck with mind-boggling, piled-up bills to pay (like me.) So a couple of procrastinating months later, I realized that freelancing is not the job for me. Why? I hate doing the same thing over and over again. And I get bored easily. Then the term "internet marketing" came to mind...


I didn't immediately stop procrastinating. It just sort of lessened a little bit. I started being productive again but at a very slow pace. Then a couple of weeks later, reality bitch-slapped me in the face. And boy, was it painful! That's when I knew that I had to stop fooling around and get down to business once and for all. I began to pick up speed. So the last couple of days saw me from being a chronic procrastinator to becoming a busy bee..



I've been a busy bee for only a couple of days. And it felt really great. I finally get to sleep without feeling any guilt that I put my priority list off. How did I do it? All it took was balance; prioritize what needs to be done first and put off the stuff of no importance. It was actually easy, especially if you put your heart into it.


Besides, who doesn't want to be productive, when it can lead you to....




No comments:

Post a Comment