Sunday, February 5, 2012

Never Forgotten: Oldies But Goodies





I was down and out a week ago that I felt like listening to old music. Yes, I love classics. I actually love listening more to songs of the 60's to early 90's than to the songs that I dance to on the dance floor. (But don't tell my friends. Sshhhh!)

I mean, who doesn't? They emit a "feel good" vibe that the songs of today fail to do. It also makes you want to take a trip down memory lane and relive the glorious moments of the past.

So sit back, relax, and get ready to be transported back by these favorite hits.


1. Ain't No Mountain High from the "Sister Act 2"



I love this rendition! And it's currently playing in my YouTube tab as I blog about it. It makes me want to dance. Hahah.

Anyway, the song was already popular even before it was used in the movie. It actually originated from 1967 and recorded by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. Then, Diana Ross later covered the song twice: as a member of The Supremes and as a solo artist.


2. You Can't Hurry Love by Phil Collins



One simply cannot listen to this song without tapping their feet. (True Story)
Bitch please, I even shake my head sideways when it plays!

Trivia: Already a number-one hit when originally released by The Supremes on 1966, the song dominated the air waves once again when it was rerecorded by Phil Collins sixteen years later.


3. I'm Coming Out



♫♪♫I'm coming out, I want the world to know. Got to let it show, I'm coming out. I want the world to know, I got to let it show. ♫♪♫ -- These lines are my favorite verse of the song. It makes me want to come out of the closet. (LOL)

"I'm Coming Out" was a hit single by Diana Ross in 1980. It was also notable for being the first song usually performed at Ross' performances and concerts since then.


4. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now



Whenever I hear this Starship song, I'm reminded of the rom-com film "Mannequin." I ♥ that movie. It's a classic! And it was even released on my birth year, 1987. (Yay, me!)

Fun Fact: Kim Cattrall of the "Sex and The City" franchise was the mannequin in the movie. I actually learned about it recently.


5. I Wanna Dance With Somebody



♫♪♫ Oh, wanna dance with somebody, I wanna feel the heat with somebody. Yeah Wanna dance with somebody, with somebody who loves me. ♫♪♫ -- These lyrics make me want to strip naked and dance with..... Wait, what?!?

Oh well, this upbeat song was a hit-single by one of my all-time favorite singers, Whitney Houston, back in 1987. Loves her!


Don't you just love the old days? I know I do. Even if I was a 90's kid, somehow I wish that I grew up in the 80's. Now, if only I could borrow that time machine Michael J. Fox used in "Back To The Future." That would be wicked! Hahah...=P

No comments:

Post a Comment